Monday, October 17, 2011

Fetch

(I'm posting out of focus pictures... ohnoes! I did NOT have my camera settings right tonight... I'll have to work on that some more!)

Tonight we took fetch "on the road!" She came into rescue understanding the "chase after it" but not the "bring it back so it can be thrown again" part. It's been a work in progress, a successful work in progress.

I started by shaping a retrieve. We either use a hunting-dog bumper or the wonderfully PINK Planet Dog "Fetch!" ball. Tonight's outside session was the ball, as she seems to enjoy the erratic bouncing of that more.
Camera Fail. Puppy Win.
She's been wearing her Gentle Leader while we do exciting things more often because I want to continue the "THIS MEANS FUN" associations. She's usually quite good about wearing it these days. That's why she's got a gentle leader, collar, and a Sure-Fit Harness (with long line attached) on at the same time.

The most important fetch rule is that she must be lying down before I throw it, and it must be an offered "platz" (lie down from a stand, not from a sit). She doesn't always get it right...
You throw ball now?
Sorry pumpkin, let's move over here...
Oh, right, you throw ball NOW!
Good girl!

I have a ball!
Fetch tonight was mostly a success. We still had some errors (they're mostly dropping the ball on the way back to me) but the successes were great! If she made it back to me with the ball, every one was a delivery to hand!

Silly puppy on leaf patrol!

No comments:

Post a Comment